Sunday, April 29, 2012


I'm sorry I've been absent for so long. I've been very busy with life outside of computer-land for once. I'm still on my Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/bobbibillard), Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/bobbibillard and http://www.facebook.com/bobbibillardfans), Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/bobbibillard), and Yelp (http://bobbibillard.yelp.com) profiles here and there but it's been a long while since I've written a blog. I guess I've been caught up with 140 character writing instead because that's about all that I have time for lately but I actually prefer having a blank page and freedom to express myself with more than just a sentence or two. I find writing tweets within the 140 character limit to be rather constrictive at times.

I purchased a home in Las Vegas recently. It was a house that I had almost bought years ago when they were first building them but it got to be way too expensive and I decided against it. However, this house was always the house that got away. I never forgot it and thought... What if??? Fast forward about half a year and I found the exact same model of house on the market at a much more affordable price. I didn't hesitate to snatch it right up this time around. It just so happened to have many of the same upgrades that I would have had done if I had purchased it way back when. So the great news is that I have an amazing foundation to work with. However, there are some things on the inside that I want to change and/or upgrade. That's what I'm up to these days. I've been busy with decorating and remodeling and I think that I may have accidentally stumbled upon one of my passions in life. And that is doing just this. I've been having so much fun with this whole process and thought, why not share the whole process with all of you.

So I should bring you up to date with all that has happened. I will be filling you in with what has transpired thus far and will continue to update my blog when I have new things to share. For starters, here is the very first photo I took of my brand new home...

Smile! You're on Candid Camera. :)
And this is what you see when you walk through the turret and into the courtyard...

I plan on getting rid of this orange wood door and going for dark wood with a speakeasy.
Welcome Home! My new doormat.
One of the first things I wanted to do was to power wash and seal my driveway and courtyard along with adding a little landscaping in the courtyard area...

Windmill Palm

Sorry, don't know what these plants are called but I hope whatever they are they don't attract bees.
I added a Windmill Palm along with some other plants that I don't know the names of. I especially love how the power washing and sealer brought out the colors in my cobblestones. However, my excitement was short lived once I learned how long the sealer actually lasts. The Vegas sun is harsh and takes the life out of it quickly. No wonder why none of my neighbors have this done on their driveways! Not sure if I'll be able to afford to do it again unless I can find someone cheaper. I might have paid way too much for this service. Feel free to comment me and let me know how much this sort of thing should cost.

The next project I took on was to rip out the carpet in my master bedroom, closet, and guest bedroom and replace the carpet for hard wood. I chose Virginia Vintage 5" Engineered Hickory in Flintlock to match the rest of the wood floors in my home. These wood floors are characterized by chisel marks, half-moon indentations and slight variations in color. I find the imperfections in the wood to be quite perfect and I am very happy with how everything turned out.

Master Bedroom Before
Carpet was thrashed and Blondie thought it was her own giant pee pad.
Out with the old...
In with the new.
Ta-da!!

Spare Bedroom Before
Spare Bedroom After
And of course Blondie had to get in the mix. She's checking herself out in the mirror. Haha! :)
Master Bedroom Closet Before
Master Bedroom Closet After
I'm planning on doing a custom built closet in here soon.
Aside from all the construction going on in my place, I also ordered some new furniture and lighting for my living room. I'm still waiting on my couch from Restoration Hardware but most of everything else has arrived. I also had a flat screen 3D television installed above my fireplace.

Living Room Before
Living Room After
I'll post more pics when the couch arrives. Gold on fireplace is getting replaced soon too. Can't wait!
Dining Room Before
Dining Room After
I also wall mounted a TV in my office. Oh the joys of home ownership again. I have missed being able to do stuff like this after living in apartments for so long! :)

Debating whether or not I should build a custom office in here or just buy new furniture.
There was also things I needed fixed with my plumbing when I moved in. I needed a new toilet, water heater, and water filtration system. I was advised that soft water (the salt crystal method) is bad for the environment and that I should filter out what is bad in the water instead of adding salt to it. I hope that wasn't a load of crap to sell me something extra. You never know with these repair guys and the economy being how it is these days. Feel free to leave me comments and let me know what you think. Crossing my fingers I bought the right stuff.

New Kohler Cimmaron Toilet in the Guest Bathroom
EWS Water Filtration System (EWSWater.com)
Eternal Tankless Water Heater
I finally have a washer and dryer. It's starting to feel a lot more like a home.
And that's all for now. I'll be adding more updates as things get done around here. On the way and on order... wood blinds for the whole house that will match my floors, surround sound and home automation, beefing up my security system including bump key proof locks, adding unbreakable glass to windows, new furniture for guest bedroom, new fireplace screens, more landscaping for the front of my house, epoxy for the garage floors, remodeling my master bathroom and kitchen, etc. I'll keep you posted. Talk soon. Mwaa! :)

6 comments:

smoke73 said...

Awesome!!! I am so happy for you babe...you deserve it and soooo much more! You need anything just call me....

Cat said...

Looks great hon! I'll write more when not doing it from my phone. Lol! As for office...have you thought of any built-ins? Like bookshelves and the like? (I miss mine :( ) Again, looks great! Love seeing your vision unfold! Muah!

Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill said...

Beautiful work so far Bobbi! I can't wait to see how things progress, and I'm glad you're really enjoying the process, as it's one that drives many people nuts. As I used to say, you're the best person in the world to go shopping with, because you always have so much fun doing it. I'm glad to see that applies to decorating as well :)

-Bill F

mark stanton said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwesome